Mike Kasberg's Dotfiles
Managed with chezmoi
Setup dotfiles on a new machine
(Optional) Install Bitwarden and login if you plan to install secrets.
sudo snap install bw bw login
Install chezmoi to
~/binand install dotfiles to
sh -c "$(curl -fsLS git.io/chezmoi)" -- -b "$HOME/bin" init --apply -S ~/dotfiles mkasberg
Done! To keep up to date in the future:
Want to check the diff before applying changes?
chezmoi <update|apply> -nv
- Scripts to install system and user applications and preferences
- Custom PS1 Bash Prompt
- Custom Oh My Zsh Theme
- Set the default shell to zsh on Ubuntu
- Per-machine git email, set once during setup
- Optionally (per machine) install secrets from Bitwarden
- Install script for VS Code Remote Containers Dotfiles
- Vim filetypes for chezmoi
Start Your Own Dotfiles
Want to use Chezmoi to manage your own dotfiles? The best way to get started is
to follow the Chezmoi Quick Start
Guide to start tracking your first
~/.gitconfig are great files to start
with). Beyond that, I hope you can find some inspiration by looking at my
dotfiles and copying things you like!
Want to test a fresh install on a new machine? A dev container in Docker is great for this because it comes with a non-root user.
docker run --rm -it --user vscode --workdir /home/vscode mcr.microsoft.com/vscode/devcontainers/base:0-hirsute